Kindness rocks come to Columbia Intermediate

CIS students paint positive messages on rocks to be placed outside the building

Lauren Bush, Staff Writer

A few years ago, Brandy Caramcio took a stroll through her neighborhood. Along the route she spotted beautifully painted rocks with positive messages written on them. After taking pictures and posting them online, she learned that the rocks were a part of The Kindness Rocks Project. 

The Kindness Rocks Project was founded by Megan Murphy when she was walking along the beach at Cape Cod. She found some rocks and decided to write positive messages on them and leave them on the beach. Her friend happened to find one of the rocks and shared that it was exactly what she needed at that time. This small step blossomed into a national movement to spread love and kindness in an unexpected way…rocks.

Caramico, an intervention specialist, brought The Kindness Rocks club to Columbia Intermediate School earlier this month to “promote random acts of kindness” and to “spread love”.

“We are hoping to beautify the entryway to CIS with an abundance of colorful rocks with kind and positive messages,” Caramico said. “We hope that for whoever needs it, that ‘one message’ they need will pop out for them.”

Over the past two years, Caramico had been wanting to bring the project to Columbia Intermediate School. The timing was right this year when she observed that students wanted a change in their school. 

“The students wanted more positive interactions, kind words, helping each other, encouraging each other, and less being mean, disrespect, putting people down and bullying,” said Caramico.

Caramico is hoping to have a positive impact on the students who walk into the school each morning through the new Kindness Rocks club. 

“We hope that everyone feels the effects of The Kindness Rocks Project,” Caramico said. “We hope that students and staff will remember to spread love and kindness wherever they go because kindness rocks!”