Grammy Awards pay tribute to #24

Kaitlyn Beauchamp, A&E Editor

The Grammys were Sunday, January 26th. Music’s biggest night of the year happened, and this year there was more connection among the artists who were all were surprised by the death of basketball legend Kobe Bryant who died earlier that day in a helicopter accident.

“Here we are together on music’s biggest night celebrating the artists that do it best, but to be honest with you, we’re all feeling crazy sadness right now. Because earlier today, Los Angeles, America and the whole wide world lost a hero. And we’re standing here heartbroken in the house that Kobe Bryant built,” Alicia Keys said while she took the stage at the Staples Center. Keys added that she “never imagined in a million years that we’d have to start the show like this, but we’re gonna sing together. We’re gonna laugh together. We’re gonna dance together. We’re gonna cry together. We’re gonna bring it all together,” Keys finished. 

Alicia Keys’ parody of Lewis Capaldi’s “Someone You Loved,” was funny to listen to as she made joked about the last year in music and the nominations. Some of the lyrics included: “Ariana went next, Tyler brought us Igor, Lil Nas road that road, till he couldn’t no more”, She also joked about how the Grammys never seem to end “At the Grammys, 10,000 hours long, So keep the speeches short.”

Lizzo started off the show singing  “Cuz I Love You” and “Truth Hurts”. “This one is for Kobe, ” the artist said as she started her performance. She ended her performance with an amazing flute solo, a tribute to how the artist started her music career.  Lizzo wasn’t the only one who tributed their performance to Kobe. Aerosmith ended their show holding up Kobe Bryant’s famous 24 jersey, and DJ Khaled and John Legend gave tribute to both Nipsey Hussle and Kobe Bryant while singing their song “Higher”. 

In my opinion, one of the best performances of the night was Demi Lovato’s powerful comeback to the Grammy stage to debut her raw and emotional new song “Anyone”, a song she wrote days before her overdose in 2019. Demi’s song connected with many people on an emotional level. On the other hand, the worst performance of the night was Tyler the Creator. Sorry to anyone who enjoys Tyler the Creator but I just couldn’t understand what he was saying and why there were so many of him on the stage? Also what was with the screaming? I just didn’t understand what was happening and was confused by everything I was watching. Sorry to anyone who enjoys his type of music and listens to it religiously. I personally just don’t understand that type of music. 

The last performance of the night was Camila Cabello, Cyndi Lauper, Ben Platt, Gary Clark Jr., Misty Copeland, Common, pianist Lang Lang, and more joined together to sing the song “I Sing the Body Electric” by the classic 1980 movie Fame, a musical about students at a high school for the performing arts. The performance was a salute to Ken Ehrlich, who produced the past 40 years of Grammy awards ceremonies. This Grammys had some good and bad moments, Billie Eilish won the most awards of the night. While others think that Lizzo was snubbed, due to the fact that she was nominated for 8 awards. The Grammys were amazing and showed a lot of respect for Kobe. 

Below are some highlights of the winners, PLEASE NOTE NOT ALL WINNERS ARE LISTED

Highlights:

Billie Eilish: 5

Best Pop Vocal Album “When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”

Best New Artist 

Record of the Year “Bad Guy”

Song of the Year “Bad Guy”

Album of the Year “When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”

Lizzo: 3 

Best Traditional R&B Performance “Jerome” 

Best Urban Contemporary Album “Cuz I Love You (DELUXE)”

Best Pop Solo Performance for “Truth Hurts”

Lil Nas X feat Billy Ray Cyrus: 2 

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

Best Music Video 

The Chemical Brothers: 2

Best Dance Recording

Best Dance/ Electronic Album “No Geography”

Gary Clark Jr.: 2

Best Rock Performance “This Land”

Best Rock Song “This Land”

Anderson.Paak ft. André 3000: 2

Best R&B Performance “Come Home”

Best R&B Album “Ventura”

Elvis Costello & The Imposters: 1 

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album “LOOK NOW”

Rodrigo y Gabriela: 1

Best Contemporary Instrumental Album “METTAVOLUTION”

Tool: 1

Best Metal Performance “7empest”

Cage the Elephant: 1

Best Rock Album “Social Cues” 

Vampire Weekend: 1

Best Alternative Music Album “Father of the Bride”

PJ Morton: 1

Best R&B Song “Say So”

Nipsey Hussle Featuring Roddy Ricch & Hit-Boy: 1

Best Rap Performance “RACKS IN THE MIDDLE” 

DJ Khaled Featuring Nipsey Hussle & John Legend: 1 

Best Rap/Sung Performance “HIGHER”

Dan + Shay: 1 

Best Country Duo/Group “Speechless”

David Chappelle: 1 

Best Comedy Album “Sticks & Stones”

Hadestown

Best Musical Theater Album