The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour” movie: What’s new with Swift?

Taylor Swift at the premiere of her “The Eras Tour” documentary.

Before the movie began, Taylor told the fans, “I think you’ll see that you’re absolutely a main character in the film. Because it was your magic and your attention to detail and your sense of humor and the ways that you lean into what I’m doing…” 

With Taylor Swift’s new “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” movie recently being released and her concerts making their way around the world, it seems Swift can’t seem to leave the headlines. Her new film has made over $92 million in the first weekend upon its release date, becoming the highest-grossing concert film in the U.S. ever, and her song “Cruel Summer” hit #1 on Billboard Hot 100 despite it no longer being summer and being released over 4 years ago to name a few.

After having trouble with her producing company, the diabolical Scooter Braun, and no longer having rights to her past albums, Swift decided to re-release all of them again, regaining creative control and making them bigger hits than ever. 

What makes her newest film stick out the most, though?

The film starts with the famed staple Lover House appearing on the main screen on the stage, a reference to a fictional house Taylor Swift created with each room referencing each one of her albums, hence a room for each ERA. Swift walks onto SOFI stadium with her glittering leotard while singing her hit song “Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince,” the camera almost immediately flashing to the roaring fans screaming and phones out everywhere recording.

The director of “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour”, Sam Wrench, has plenty of experience with concert films, with his most recent project being “Billie Eilish: Live at O2.” It only took them three out of the six Los Angeles concerts to get all the clips required for the documentary. 

In order to get full production rights, Swift decided to use her own in-house producing company, Taylor Swift Productions; Swift continued producing via collaboration with Silent House Productions, however. In doing this, Swift was able to reduce expenses for the film, with the whole production costing $10-$20 million.

After Swift finishes her first song, she makes her way around the stage welcoming her fans to her final concert in the U.S. part of her tour and thanking them for showing her unconditional love and support throughout the different concerts. In the next scenes after the U.S. tour, Swift is making her way around the world stopping at every major city along the way. 

Although her U.S. leg of the tour alone amassed over 2.2 billion dollars, production money rose in listeners of her music, gaining a spike of 80 percent after the initial start of “The Era’s Tour”’ 

With a record-breaking tour, a blockbuster movie, and a shrewd mind for business, the 33-year-old singer is now worth an estimated $1.1 billion.

Swift sings her way through every era, with each city having its own “surprise song,’ a song that she sings exclusively for that date and was not originally part of the setlist. Each era has its own color scheme and outfit, matching the album with Swift creatively shining through with each album representing a different era in her life being defined by their sound and style.

Overall, even without being a Swiftie, it’s hard to deny how impactful Taylor Swift is and how popular her “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” documentary is, with critics on Rotten Tomatoes giving it a 99% in ratings and saying, “Whether you’re a ‘Swiftie’ or not, if you enjoy pop music or concerts in general, go see it on the biggest screen. It’s the closest thing to being there to live in person. The scope, style, scale, sophistication… it’s a spectacle!” 

“As I watched her go through her many eras — not exactly in order, but expertly paced — I respect how she’s able to seamlessly weave between fantasy and reality, between the personas she puts on as a front and the ones that allow her to feel seen,” another review says.

Taylor Swift and her fans have such a strong connection to one another, that Swifties feel seen when listening to her music. Swift acknowledges her fans’ endless love and support by writing countless songs dedicated to them. At just the age of 33, Swift was the first singer to reach billionaire status from music alone. She is breaking records and continues to set them, and fans can’t wait to see it happen.

You can see the “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour”  now in theaters at AMC and Regal Cinemas until this coming Sunday, November 19th with airings on streaming services possible in future months. I would highly recommend the documentary to any Swiftie or new fan, the film captures the essence of Taylor Swift’s influence through music and cinematography alike.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Knight Times
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Want to show your appreciation?
Consider donating to The Knight Times!
Your proceeds will go directly towards our newsroom so we can continue bringing you timely, truthful, and professional journalism.