The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Inside Columbia University: Repeating History 56 Years Later

On April 30, the NYPD swarmed Columbia University for the second time in two weeks, shutting down a student occupation of Hamilton Hall, and what was left of the Gaza Solidarity Encampment. By refusing to leave unless Columbia committed to divesting from Israel, students repeat history from 56 years ago. In 1968, a series of protests against the United States’ involvement in the Vietnam War occurred, which resulted in several violent removals of protestors by the NYPD, as well as a student occupation in Hamilton Hall. Today, students repeat history concerning the Palestine-Israeli conflict.

Across the country, protests have broken out on multiple university campuses. Students have issued calls for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza for the recent Israeli-Palestine Conflict, an end to US military assistance for Israel, and university divestment from arms suppliers profiting from the war.

Students have faced heavy whiplash from administrations and police. Over 100 protestors have been arrested at Columbia University and at least 45 at Yale. Harvard University suspended the Palestine Solidarity Committee for policy violations during demonstrations, and USC1 canceled a speech by the school’s valedictorian for supporting Palestine.

However, it isn’t just students in the fight for this humanitarian crisis. Hundreds of Columbia faculty members marched alongside students, with banners condemning the decision to suspend students. Even politicians have voiced their support for Israel, but this isn’t a matter of Israel vs. Palestine. In war, the only victims are those who are innocent.

The encampment began on April 17, 2024. Hundreds of protestors occupied Columbia’s South Lawn, calling for the divestment of Columbia from companies that fund Israel. University President Minouche Shafik then authorized the NYPD to sweep the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” despite a unanimous vote among faculty members against the NYPD’s involvement.

On April 29, 2024, Columbia University released a mass suspension form stating that students who do not leave the encampment will be punished with “disciplinary procedures”. In other words, students were to stop their protests or would otherwise be suspended.

But this hasn’t stopped students for a second. As the interim suspension of 2 PM came by, demonstrators voted to stay and hundreds stayed on the South Lawn as the suspension deadline expired. Columbia students then used these papers to protest, writing over the forms in red marker with various phrases such as: “SUSPENSION FOR GAZA IS THE HIGHEST HONOR! VIVA PALESTINA2”, and “COLUMBIA WILL BURN”.

The next day on Tuesday, students occupied Hamilton Hall, and the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” spread across Lewisohn Lawn and moved tents outside of Hartley Hall. Upon occupying Hamilton Hall, students renamed the room “Hind’s Hall” with banners to honor Hind Rajab, a Palestinian child killed by Israeli forces after they promised transit to ambulances to help her. The Gaza Encampment was dismantled by personnel later that day after the NYPD issued arrests of 109 confirmed individuals. By Wednesday morning, the encampment had been completely removed from South Lawn with nothing but square patches where the tents once remained.

Even after the encampment was removed, students still protested and fought. At graduation, students walked during commencement with flags of Palestine, graduation caps with Palestine’s flags or colors, walked in handcuffs, and even one student ripped up their diploma in solidarity with Gaza.

This month marks 56 years after Columbia University’s protests against the Vietnam War. The echoes of the past come back as we witness history repeating itself. Fifty-six years ago, students rose against the Vietnam War, demanding change and justice. Today, they demand change now. 

———————

1 University of Southern California

2 A British-based organization registered in 2009 with the initial intention of running a convoy of humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip. Direct translation: “Long live Palestine”