The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A Short Guide For Music in Ohio For 2024

The+Foo+Fighters+performing+in+Germany+%282011%29+
The Foo Fighters performing in Germany (2011)

Even if it can seem like there are not too many things to look forward to in the often-times gloomy and desolate climate of Ohio, there’s always the ever-lasting sound of music far off in the distance. Ranging from the most popular bands in the world playing in the biggest of stadiums to less well-known talents playing in bars, countless groups come down to the midwest to share their sounds with all who care to listen. The following bands are all worth the price of admission to experience all different types of music.

Foo Fighters

Starting off incredibly strong, is former-Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl’s band, the Foo Fighters. Formed as a solo project by the multi-instrumentalist, the band has gained much traction throughout the years, most notably for their sophomore album “The Color and the Shape,” featuring their most popular song to date, “Everlong.” After the sudden passing of the Fighters’ drummer (Taylor Hawkins) in 2020, there was much tension as to whether or not the band would breakup, but luckily they decided against such a decision, and instead released a new album last year – “But Here We Are.” The Grammy-nominated album features many enchanting riffs and raw lyrics (seen right from the first track, “Rescued,” which is already one of my favorite songs from the band), making for one of the greatest releases in their catalog – and what may be my favorite. The tour promoting the album entitled the “Everything or Nothing at All Tour” starts on May 1st, and they stop by Cincinnati on July 25th with “The Pretenders” and “Mammoth WVH” coming as well. The lowest tickets are reselling for are around $120, but no matter the price one thing can be assured – and that’s a great show.

Panchiko

Panchiko’s rise to popularity is a wholly original one. The electronic band’s first album, “D>E>A>T>H>M>E>T>A>L,” was found in a cheap CD case on a random shelf at (of all places) a GoodWill. After low-quality renditions of the songs were put onto the internet, the hunt for the band members was on, and eventually, they were found and reunited, and soon, mass popularity online and almost a million monthly listeners on Spotify followed. They are coming to play some of their biggest hits and will be accompanied by “Wisp” and “Weatherday” in Columbus on May 5th. Tickets are a lot cheaper than the Foo Fighters, selling for only $20. 

Teen Suicide

Perhaps most well-known for their sounds of anguish and sadness, the group has gained a great following throughout the years, especially online. Though they’ve disbanded and regrouped over the years, they are currently going on tour, although their last release was just over two years ago. They are stopping by in Columbus with “Awakebutstillinbed,” and for only $30 you can go see them. 

Green Day

The last band to highlight was primarily huge in the 2000s, with a dedicated fanbase that’s stuck by them even through their later releases that were not so well received. Their latest album, “Saviors,” on the other hand, has received much applause, mainly because they’ve reverted back to their earlier sounds that put them in the spotlight a few decades ago. Billie Joe Armstrong and the rest of Green Day, as part of their “Saviors” tour, are coming to Cincinnati on August 22nd with the “Smashing Pumpkins,” “Rancid,” and “The Linda Lindas.” Tickets are going for as low as $57.

These are just a few of the many acts coming to Ohio this year, and I urge you to find others that may be just as, if not more, intriguing to you.