The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Kings lacrosse off to great 2-0 start for the 2024 season

Senior captain and 1st team all ECC attackman Riley Platter.

Kings Boys Lacrosse is 2-0 and is off to a great start through the non-conference slate of the beginning of the season. The Knights have taken down Lakota West and Anderson in two away matches. They’ve won those games by a combined score of 22-6. The Knights won their first-ever district title in the 2023 season and want to build off of that success last season and look like one of the top teams in the city coming into 2024.

The Knights are poised to have an outstanding season led by 16 seniors which is a program record. Some of these seniors, 4 year varsity players and 3 of which are now 3rd year captains, have seen what it takes to be successful and are ready to put it on display for the city to see. 

The Knights are coached by Ron Cheek who has been at the helm for over 20 years as the Knights HC. He played college lacrosse and knows what it takes to run a successful program. The Knights are in search of their first regional title appearance in program history under Coach Cheek.

As previously mentioned, the Knights are also led by three, 3-time captains in Riley Platter, Mason Smith and AJ Johnson. These two attackers and defenders know the leadership opportunity they have and the opportunity to continue to make history again in 2024. Not only are these three players great leaders, they are also pretty decent at lacrosse. All three players are perennial All-ECC honors players and all three are among the early favorites for offensive and defensive players of the year. First-year captain Sam Lockwood is a Long-stick Midfielder and is providing excellent leadership as a new captain and is also an all ecc defender as well. 

Along with the big four captains, Senior attackers and offensive midfielders Elijah Cabrera, Dane Drake, Jacob Ellison, Lincoln Miller and Jacob Ellison provide a very balanced and strong attack for the Knights and have shown that they can score at will when it matters. Junior midfielder Caden Walker and Freshman midfielder Charlie Doubet round out the potent Knights offensive lineup. 

On the defensive side, Rylin Batac, Zach Hoying, Ben Lockwood, Charlie Reeder and Liam Cron support the two captains in anchoring a top defensive unit in the city. In the cage, Ben Ewing provides four years of varsity experience in the cage and is considered by many coaches and players as a top 3 goalie in the city.

Overall, the Knights are off to a great start in 2024 and look to build off of their historic 2023 season with even more history and accolades in 2024. #GoKnights.