Fall sports celebrate senior night

Underclassmen cheer on seniors during their match against West Clermont.

Tom Barta

Tom Barta, Jay Holubetz, and Senola Johnson

The men’s soccer team, the women’s tennis team, and the cheerleading team recently celebrated senior night at the end of their season, honoring those who spent the last four years playing for their team, marking the achievements of the graduating class.

“Being a leader on this team is an honor. Being seen as a Captain by my teammates and watching them grow is very special,” senior soccer captain Tate Mount said.
The Kings Knights Men’s soccer team won a big ECC match against the Lebanon Warriors on september 30th, their senior night. Winning on Senior night for the seniors and parents.

Senior soccer boys celebrate four years of accomplishments. (Katina Peters)

“It felt great to get a win because we haven’t lost on a senior night in all the years I’ve been here,” senior Ryan Stylski said.Tate Mount remembered special moments from the locker room that night. The music played loud, everyone sang, everyone smiled, and the guys threw water.

“We were just living in the moment,” Mount said.

The Lady Knight’s tennis team also capped off their season with their senior night on September 30th.

Kings beat West Clermont High School in a decisive 4-1 win, playing a court of only seniors against the Wolves. Post-match celebrations included gifts from teammates, heart-felt speeches, and lots of team pictures.

“It was fun,” senior Summer Victor said. “The team was split into groups for every senior. The groups gave gifts based on your favorite color, animal, and food. And then they’d give a little speech about you.”

Victor started playing tennis her 8th grade year and has competed on varsity for the last three. On the court, she mainly plays 1st singles.

“The competition stepped up this year, so I had to step up,” Victor said. “A lot of them got better but I’ve still had some good matches this season.”

The Lady Knights have used this increase in competition to fuel their game, strengthening team bonds and overall morale.

“Ever since 7th grade I’ve been playing singles but this year I have been playing doubles with Hannah Hardman. My coach really liked how me and Hannah worked together. We’ve had a lot of success this year,” senior Breauna Gause said.

Breauna Gause returns serve in doubles match. (Tom Barta)

The Knights recently had their sectional match, marking the end of the season. As tennis comes to a close, seniors begin to reminisce on the last year of their high school career.

“I still feel like the season is going to go on, but sadly it’s not,” Victor said. “It just hasn’t set in yet.”

Senior nights can bring out different emotions. Spectators may notice the occasional tear shed.

“It became real to me when [coach] Hennessey pulled out our senior shirts,” Gause said. “As soon as I saw them I started tearing up. It’s kind of surreal. I didn’t think I’d get to be a senior, especially with being online last year.”

As students come and go throughout the years, memories of teamwork and friendships will last forever. Teammates exchange final goodbyes and pass advice down to younger tennis players.

“Move your feet and stay on your toes,” Gause said.

“Be coachable and cheer on your teammates,” Victor said.

The cheerleaders spent a lot of time getting ready for their Seniors’ big day, cheering against Turpin on October 15th.

Senior cheerleaders are eager to raise the crowd’s spirit during their last football cheer season. (Liz Treft)

“We have a Scavenger hunt planned for our seniors to do and other surprises for them,” Coach Treft said.

Most of the girls look up to their senior captains Maddie Thibodeau and Erin Thompson and will miss them once they graduate and go off to college.

“I look up to Erin Thompson because I’ve been cheering with her since I was a freshman. She’s always so positive. She knows exactly how to make everyone laugh if it wasn’t for her our cheer team wouldn’t be the same” Willow Soehnor, a JV Junior said.

Seniors have waited a long time for a day only for them. They have worked so hard to get to this point of celebration.

“I’ve done Kings Cheer for 11 years,” senior Morgan Skerl said “ I’m super excited about my senior night and it being a night all about us. I have been looking forward to this day since freshman year.”