National Art Honors Society finds creative new outlets to fundraise

Brooklyn Campbell

NAHS members teach kids in the community about different ways to make art on Free Community Art Night.

Paige Dwyer, Editor in Chief

Students in the National Art Society use their love for making art to fulfill their service hours requirements by face painting to fundraise and holding free community art nights.

Leadership, like presidents Anna Lacey and Eleanor Flinders, have been working hard to get NAHS and their projects kickstarted. They work as a team with all members to brainstorm ideas. 

“I think it’s going way better than we even expected it to. It’s awesome. At the Community Art nights we had a ton of people show up and they were asking when the next one was. And our face painting groups, we’ve had a ton of people show up, we broke $200 on our first one and $100 on our second one,” Flinders said.

Flinders feels that members aren’t just putting in minimal effort, getting the amount of points they need to stay in the society, they try to show up for absolutely everything. Commitment is high, everyone loves what they’re doing, and they know what they’re bringing to this community.

“A lot of [the money from our fundraisers] goes to our art supplies here because we’re not very highly funded. We help with things for the community, to raise money for things. I know we’ve talked about doing stuff for animal shelters. It’s very individual based. Mostly like what you personally want to do, what you’re passionate about,” Vice President Keira Mccoy said.

National Art Honor Society members are allowed to use any artistic medium, so members can do any kind of art. It gives them a lot of opportunities. It allows members to do what they are passionate about and get people involved to support the community.

“I just really love trying to get younger students into art, because we have a lot of people who are going into it into junior high, and then they get to high school and they just take a bunch of different classes and kind of like skip over the arts, or they only take them for an easy A. So I really want to get the younger kids that come to our community art nights to love art and invest in something that they can do for the rest of their lives,” Flinders said.