The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cash tackles the passion for college football

Changes+bring+constant+drama+to+college+football+as+the+years+go+on.+
Mallory Green
Changes bring constant drama to college football as the years go on.

As the cheers of this year’s college football season quiet down, a sense of worry is in the air for next season. The fans are wondering if this next season will have the same excitement and energy that their game has had for many years. There’s no doubt that some things are changing in college football and some fans are not happy about it.

In college football, changes are happening, like in the SEC where beloved rivalries are being eliminated. One example is getting rid of Oklahoma VS Oklahoma State. These teams have had a total of 117 games against each other which the Sooners lead 91-20-7. One more beloved rivalry game that they’re getting rid of is Oregon vs Oregon State In this series Oregon leads 67-49-10. 

One of the biggest things changing about college football is the playoffs. Last September, the College Football Playoff Board of Managers agreed to expand the CFP field to 12 teams. This means more teams will get the chance to compete in the playoffs, but this change makes every week less important, for example when Michigan and Ohio State faced off, the winner usually got a playoff spot. But now, even a team with two losses might make it. 

How NIL deals changed college football forever. `NIL is a term that describes the means through which college athletes are allowed to receive financial compensation. NIL changed football Because good college players will stay in college because they will make more money then they would in the NFL. Nebraska football head coach Matt Rhule said ‘’A good QB in the transfer portal cost 1 million to 2 million right now.’’ Matt Rhule a Portal Qb 2 mill for a good one – YouTube. That just proves that players would rather stay in college and make 2 million rather than a rookie contract in the NFL.

Transfer portal. The transfer portal is a database where student-athletes enter to let other schools look at their information. For example last year saw double the number of people entering the transfer portal than 2018. On the first day of the transfer portal there were 1,127 people to enter their name with a 44% from last year’s first day at 780 entries. This makes it hard for high school athletes to make It D1. Courtney Morgan, director of player personnel for the Washington Huskies football team said ‘’the rush to offer high school gets scholarships has slowed down.’’

As we look ahead to the next college football season there are some concerns that the experience might not be the same but it will still be enjoyable for most fans. With double the amount of people transferring, recruitment struggling and the new playoff format it is true next season might be different but it still has the chance to bring new excitement for the fans.