The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Kings Softball Under New Leadership: 2024 Season Overview

The softball team celebrates together after a home run against Little Miami — Photo Credit: TJ Hoolehan

As the spring season approaches, the Kings softball team finds itself with new leadership at the plate. With this new coaching, anticipation and excitement ripple though the team as they prepare to showcase their skills in the upcoming season, seniors eager to leave their legacy behind as they face the challenges that lie ahead. 

Despite last year’s efforts, the Knights fell short of the ECC title under Warriors and Eagles. Kings had a 14-4 record while Lebanon and Milford tied with a 17-1 record. Kings has 2 senior leaders this year, pitcher Isabelle Noble and outfielder Abby Trapp. Abby finished her junior year with a batting average of .423 and 27 runs. Noble finished her junior year pitching 113 innings with 146 strikeouts (2nd in the ECC)

Senior Abby Trapp is excited about this new season and is ready for this upcoming season with new leadership and the challenges this season will face. She also looks forward to the Florida trip and her last season with her friends.

“I feel like we will be forced to stick together and keep working as a team due to the fact that the coaches are new and are unaware of our ability and how our program has been ran over the years,” Abby stated, “Overall I feel like we will still manage to succeed and hopefully go further into the season and tournament.”

Trapp has set goals for her senior year, to bat over a .450 with a few home runs and 5-8 stolen bases, and to win the district title!

Abby Trapp goes up to bat against Lebanon — Photo Credit: TJ Hoolehan

John Schablein is the new coach for the Knights softball program. John grew up on the west side of Cincinnati and attended LaSalle High School. He received a BA at Mount St Joseph and an executive MBA from Xavier. He coached Varsity Girls Basketball at Roger Bacon, Taylor, and CHCA for 24 years and coached varsity softball at Taylor, Deer Park, and CHCA for 15 years. Coach Schablein is looking forward to coaching for Kings and is getting the girls ready for this challenging upcoming season.

“I am looking forward to coaching a very talented group of players at Kings in what is one of the toughest softball leagues in the state. The team has been preparing for months to put themselves in a position to be one of the better teams in Cincinnati. The girls are extremely motivated and it shows in their work ethic every day.  We are currently putting a lot of time into team defense which will pay dividends once the season starts,” Schablein said.

Coach Schablein is confident that his coaching for the team will benefit the girls, having received lots of prior experience and awards that will lead the team in the right direction this season.

“I bring over fifteen years of Head Varsity coaching experience to the table, winning multiple Coach of the Year awards in the CHL and MVC.  We will play an aggressive brand of softball to Kings which I believe will be fun to watch and allow us to contend for an ECC title.  The girls are preparing for a week of games in Vero Beach Florida at the end of March which will prepare us for the grueling schedule we will face this spring,” Schablein said.

The Knights will be facing some challenges this season, but with a new coach, who is very qualified and ready to lead this group of girls, and 2 senior leaders, Kings is ready to bring home not only an ECC title, but hopefully make a run for state!