Freshman football team defined by wins

The freshman football team

Austin Evans, Section Editor

On Tuesday, October 29th, the Kings freshman football team won their last game of the season against the West Clermont Wolves, bringing their record from this season to 7-1.  

The class of 2023 football team has been almost unbeatable the past 3 seasons with an overall record of 21-3. In 7th grade, they went 6-2. In 8th grade the team went 8-0, which won them the ECC title. This season, the freshman team went 7-1, only losing to a well-rounded Milford Eagles team.

“I think the team having a closer bond and being closer together has contributed to our success in the past years,” said freshman quarterback, Jimmy Kelly.

Not only did this team win, but they fought through adversity of players getting injured and a couple of players that the team had relied on in the past, got called up to play on the JV/Varsity teams. 

“My favorite part of this past season was seeing new players step up. We lost multiple players and a lot of kids stepped up and played great in place of that players position,” said Kelly.

They’ve played together so well for so long that there is no shortage of confidence in each other.

“We play well as a defense and our confidence is through the roof because we haven’t lost an away game in 3 years,” said freshman wide receiver and safety, Michael Mussari.

This was the last year that this group will play football with just their grade. Starting next year, they will have a chance to prove themselves under the lights on Friday nights.

“I am extremely excited to play under the lights because we have watched them play since we were young. It’s even more exciting to be a part of the team playing out there,” said Kelly.