The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Student Athlete Spotlight: Elise Marchal

TJ Hoolehan
Elise Marchal goes up for another kill against Mason.

In a historic triumph, Kings Volleyball made history as the first public school from Southwest Ohio to clinch the Division 1 state championship in 30 years. Finishing the season with an impressive 28-1 record, they avenged their only regular-season loss to St. Ursula Academy, securing a victory in the regional game. The support of the Redsea was evident, with fans filling multiple sections and students standing on the stairs during the state tournament. Notably, Kings Volleyball saw four players earn 1st Team ECC and two receive 2nd Team ECC recognition. The team also witnessed remarkable individual achievements, including record-breaking performances by players such as Elise Marchal.

Elise Marchal, committed to Appalachian State, excelled as an outside hitter and middle blocker for Kings. Besides earning 1st Team ECC, she was named co-offensive player of the year. Elise secured a spot on the Top 8 Volleyball Magazine Dream Team. Her exceptional achievements included breaking the school record for kills in a year and surpassing the Ohio State Tournament Record for kills in a 3-set match with an astounding 28 kills. Elise concluded the state tournament with an impressive 47 kills, 23 digs, 4 blocks, and 3 aces.

“My favorite memories have always been team meals and now another one is winning semis and then the championship game for state,” Elise said. “All the activities that have come after winning state such as going to the elementary schools, designing the rings, and being on the radio. I will miss playing with my best friends and the culture of the team.” 

Having played volleyball since the 3rd grade, Elise looks forward to continuing her athletic journey at Appalachian State University. Beyond athletics, she anticipates the college experience and looks forward to playing volleyball as a Mountaineer.

Elise, Ava, and Dakota Pray before the Regional Finals. (TJ Hoolehan)