The Student News Site of Kings High School

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

The Knight Times

Polls

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Winter Sports Preview – What’s the outlook for Kings Basketball this winter?

Talan Noyes shoots in a game against Winton Woods

Winter is here! Kings boys and girls basketball is upon us and both teams are on their way rolling through their respective schedules. Both teams have high hopes this year after promising results last year with the boys winning an ECC title for the first time since 2016. The girls on the other hand, finishing as ECC runner-ups but going on a magical playoff run to finish the year as regional runner-ups for the first time in school history. 

This winter is looking bright in many ways with seniors leading the way for both teams but the girls especially. Guards Kassie Ingram and Sami Drew provide a two hand punch for coach Green and anchoring down low is forward Elise Marchal. The Knights can run with any team in the city and will look to take control of the wide-open ECC conference title race this season. Juniors Ava Gendreau and Jenna Burke help fill out the Knights starters and provide a varsity experience level for a well-rounded starting five. Sophomores Paiten Volz, Anna Wiery and Neely McElhaney will also provide additional support for the Knights and all players look to accomplish another successful season with coach Green at the helm.

Looking over towards the boys side, they are coming off a season where they shared an ECC title and secured a top 15 seed in the OHSAA tournament. It was the teams first ECC title since the 2015-2016 season and the first title under 8th year head coach Nick Molz. A very young and talented group this season, with just 3 seniors on the roster, the Knights look to make a name for themselves and set up a bright future in the coming years. 

Starting with one of the best backcourt duos in the city, senior Talan Noyes and junior Tommy Clark will provide coach Molz with anything he needs whether it’s shooting, shot creating, spreading the ball and even rebounding. They both are elite shooters and have a knack of getting to the rim and getting to the foul line. Clark also has an elite transition game and will take any fast break and finish it off with a two-hand slam that will set any gym ablaze.

Forwards Colton Weisbrod and Jacob Ellison provide a lot of varsity experience to a forward group with 5 underclassmen. These underclassmen: Nate Lyman, Myles Baker, Kato Meissner, Grant Nurre and Wyatt Kroll are all super talented and have their time to shine as Knights starting this season with Lyman, Baker and Meissner in the starting lineup to compliment the backcourt duo of Clark and Noyes. Defending a conference title is never easy, but the Knights are definitely up to the task and have their eyes set on becoming one of the many Kings teams to make history in recent memory.