Pastors and Coordinators at Rivers Crossing find themselves motivated to inspire students

His eyes are full of inspiration when speaking about his passion for motivating students and his way of presenting his knowledge inspires students. The way his smile shines when he speaks to students lights up the whole atmosphere. When communicating with others his body relaxes and his words flow with ease.

Peter Pizzuto inspires students to build strong relations with the Tribes community at Rivers Crossing Community Church.

If they are struggling then I try to have a conversation with them so I can listen.  I try to hear what they are going through and then ask some questions to help them investigate things that are behind the struggles. I try to help ask questions that could potentially begin to reveal the cause of the struggle. Once we can begin to reveal the cause of the struggle, then we can brainstorm ideas to help address the cause and or search for some more help,” Pizzuto said.

Pizzuto’s ideas allow students to sit back and gather their minds to push themselves mentally. 

When I was a junior in high school, my youth pastor asked me to help be a small group leader for some junior high guys.  That was the first time I learned that I could use my life to positively influence others.  I really enjoyed being a leader and became very interested to learn more about how I could do this for a vocation,” Pizzuto said.

Common mental health issues that not only adults, but also teenagers face, are addressed and brought up often towards Pizzuto by those who reach out.

Anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and attempts, lack of self-confidence, stress, school stress, lack of self-love, comparison, insecurity, loneliness, relationships struggles, pretty much everything a teenager is faced with these days,” Pizzuto said.

Joel Montgomery joins together with Pizzuto in student ministry, a youth group, which brings together the group of students. His smile glistens in the light while he continues to use his strategic words to inspire the group. The way Montgomery and Pizzuto flow together with their words provide inspiration to the youth group.

It makes me feel true joy. It’s even kind of hard to explain, because it’s unlike many other feelings. When I see students have breakthroughs in their life and experience the love of God it is so satisfying to watch. It is also so cool to watch them grow from there and experience the plan and purpose God has for them. I think it is so satisfying because it is what God created me to do. It’s kind of like if you’re a sports fan. Imagine your favorite sports team winning the championship and how great it would feel, but then multiply that by 100,” Montgomery said.

The joy of impacting the students he comes across motivates Montgomery to continue helping students.

There are many struggles I come across. Everyone has them. But I would say that I most commonly come across anxiety, depression, loneliness, and hurts of other kinds. Sometimes it can be really sad to see and hear what people are going through. But it is also a beautiful thing when I see students begin to overcome those things with God. I believe students that walk in the doors of this church will not leave the same way they came, because they will experience hope, love, and community. Three things it’s difficult to experience elsewhere,” Montgomery said.

Tribes, a youth group in Rivers Crossing, continues to help individuals to grow closer to Jesus and encourage followers to pursue the pathway of God. 

I wanted to be the person who helped someone else experience community and be a part of changing students’ lives who may feel lonely, outcast, and broken. Out of one of my darkest times is what birthed one of my deepest desires to help students experience community, love, and purpose. I am passionate about leading students to find the love and purpose that I did,” Montgomery said.

Face-to-face conversations, phone calls, and sending kind messages to students are important to Montgomery and Pizzuto. Students want to be able to feel as if they belong and are cared for. 

I try to reach out to teens by being present in their lives and being someone that they know cares about them. Every conversation I have I try to be loving and kind so that they know they have someone who is there for them. I believe God meets us where we are at and loves us no matter what; meaning He is present in our highs and our lows of life. I want to always be that for others,” Montgomery said.